Vacancy: Research Assistant (Literature Review) at the Children's Institute
Part-time research assistant based at the Children's Institute, University of Cape Town
The Children’s Institute (CI) at the University of Cape Town (UCT) invites applications from postgraduate students to provide research assistance with a literature review in relation to services for survivors of gender-based violence (GBV) and child abuse.
The CI is a multi-disciplinary child policy research unit located in the Faculty of Health Sciences. The CI conducts cross-disciplinary research, evidence-based advocacy, and education to promote equality and improve the situation and well-being of all children in South Africa.
Scope of work
- Search academic databases to find published studies;
- Search the internet to find grey literature;
- Email experts in the field to solicit recommendations;
- Summarise the literature – annotated bibliography; and
- Contribute to a literature review summarising what is know about services to survivors in South Africa
- Writing research summaries; and
- Assisting with presentation at community dialogues.
The successful applicant will gain experience in
- Working as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Conducting a scoping review; and
- Publishing for different audiences (any published work will be credited).
- Minimum of an honours degree, or equivalent, in Gender Studies, Psychology, Public Health, Social Development, Sociology or related discipline.
- Working towards a Masters or a PhD.
- Preference will be given to students registered at universities in the Western Cape, South Africa.
- Must be able to work off-campus or at home due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Experience of working with Endnote.
- Experience of Nvivo.
- Experience with academic research databases.
From: 01 February, or as soon as possible, until 31 October 2021
Remuneration: R100 -R125 per hour (depending on experience) plus annual leave at 1 hour per 17 hours worked.
Between 8 to 16 hours per week depending on availability/ and workload.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to Lucy Jamieson firstname.lastname@example.org