The Institute is structured to ensure linkages between University faculties, departments and research units concerned with informing child policy and practice, and also to maintain linkages between the academic and policy environments.
The quality of Children's Institute research is ensured through peer review and the promotion of cross-disciplinary work.
Housed in the Faculty of Health Sciences, the Institute is led by a director, who is assisted by a Governing Board:
- Prof Andrew Argent (Chairperson), Head of Department: Pediatrics, Faculty of Health Sciences, UCT
- Prof Crain Soudien, Chief Executive Officer: Human Sciences Research Council
- Prof Ingrid Woolard, Dean: Faculty of Economic and and Management Sciences, SU
- Prof Benyam Mezmur, Head: Children's Rights Project, Community Law Centre, UWC
- Prof Jeremy Seekings, Director, Centre for Social Science Research, UCT
- Adv Karabo Ozah, Director, Centre for Child Law, UP
- Commissioner Christina Nomdo, Commissioner, National Planning Commission
- Commissioner Angie Makwetla, Children's Commissioner, SA Human Rights Commission
- Mr Zane Dangor, Special Advisor to Minister of Human Settlements, Water and Sanitation
- Prof Shanaaz Mathews (Director), Dr Katharine Hall (Senior Researcher) and Paula Proudlock (Senior Researcher) are the Children's Institute representatives on the Governing Board.